Thursday, January 21, 2016

Different Opinions from West

I have spent several posts talking about the opinions about Han clothing in the eastern world. However, actually, the perspectives from the western world are way more positive and helpful for the Han clothing renewal movement. Because people in western countries are always more open to accept the “weird” thing. They admire old things, they accept new things, and Han clothing, in the contemporary society, is both.


Here is a picture of western people in Han clothing:


From my personal experience, I brought some Han clothing to America in my freshman year. I wore them for several times, unexpectedly, I got a lot of compliments from my foreign classmates while most of my Chinese classmates regard me as a weirdo, some of them even laugh at me for dressing like “a character in the costume piece”.



What’s more, I mentioned about the Han clothing in several of my classes like anthropology or linguistics. Surprisingly, most of my professors liked hearing it from me and showed large interests about it. In the meantime, every time I mentioned about Han clothing in front of my relatives in China, they would just interrupt me immediately, walk away, and tell my mom that there is something wrong with my mind.


Overall, from my personal experience and interviews, I realized that people from western countries maintain that Han clothing is beautiful and creative, they would be willing to see more people put it on, but apparently, they do not value the culture behind the clothes, all of those are more like a game to them. They are interested in it, but they won’t value it like the Chinese did. That is why if they want to bring back the precious culture, the only one they can rely on is themselves. If they cannot convince themselves to open their mind like the western people did, they will always fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment